Simple Lessons I Learned From Being A Negative Thinker
I was stuck being a negative thinker in my early life, and I felt I've no superpowers, that can help me to look at the positive side of my life. But while dwelling on negative thinking for most of my life finally, I found my connection with the positive thoughts! That's when I decided to shift my thoughts. I started feeling powerful and worthy; because I'd just discovered my superpower!
There are many lessons that being a negative thinker allowed me to understand. Some were definitely my deepest desires of feeling important, needed, and appreciated. I'm more aware now, that my thoughts are important for me to learn the lessons I've discovered in this journey.
Thoughts are not just the reflections of our mind, but mind and heart together.
Sometimes mind rules over heart and sometimes it's the opposite, when we make any big or small decisions in our life. This means our behavior, attitude or reactions to any particular event in life are shaped by our thoughts.
We can't always control what happens to us, but we can decide and control how we respond.
Even before thoughts change everything else around you, and the world, they must change you first!
Thoughts can either make you the best person, or the worst anybody could ever imagine. I was no different! Almost everyday I am hit by endless thoughts- both positive and negative. But through practice I have learned to focus only on my positive thoughts. What seems to be impossible on my part, I allow it to go.
Being positive or negative all the time is completely our choice. So try to make the right choice for yourself and for the people whom you care. Nobody can force you to become negative as long as you don't like being one! Each transition within you starts with your thoughts. So take control of how you think and react towards people, events or incidents that is happening or ever happened in your life.
I try my best to be better each day than I was the day before. I fail often. But I keep trying and I rise again. So your thoughts should be competitive enough to make you better everyday, than your previous day.
I've lived a very sad early life. I've felt the pain of mere existence. Everyday felt like another obstacle to overcome. And it felt good to dwell in the secret place of negativity, as a negative thinker. Because feeling positive or hopeful felt like another burden, as I was completely out of energy and enthusiasm to look for positive things unfolding before me! But today, I'm writing this post from a place of self- love, gratitude, and positivity.
When everything around us appears to be dark and unfair, and we feel helpless, negative thoughts just run through our mind, body and soul. And since we are a combination of our body, mind, and soul all-together; we must know that we can control how we want to feel!
Whenever I was hurt, humiliated, ignored, criticized, compared or faced hostility; my days would turn dark. Even after trying hard, I failed to concentrate on the positive side of the incident. I ruined my day, my health, my relationships by constantly thinking about what happened. I was left with anger, frustration, guilt and regret; not just because I was at the receiving end, but because I could not behave the same way or say the same words to them- who hurt me!
We all know this truth- "What we think is what we become." Thoughts harness our capabilities." But I learned this, being negative thinker- "We all have the power to think beyond our capacity and imagination."
I would like to share few of the various ways I tried to practice positive thinking in life. It has always helped me to focus on the bright side of life. I am sure they will help you too!
- Practice Gratitude: Being thankful and feeling abundant for what we have received in life is the first trick to feel complete and positive in life. Always remember to Thank God for giving everything that you have in the present life. Many even do not have the minimum basic needs. Being grateful in life helped me to avoid all possible negative thoughts.
- Know Yourself Better Than Anybody: Take responsibility of your negative qualities or behavior. The more you ignore, the more it will hit you. Face the 'negative you' or the worst you and try to understand the reasons that trigger such emotions in you.
- Practice to Stay Calm under Pressure: "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it open."- Arnold Glasgow, American humorist.
- Smile even if it hurts: Smiling is the only medicine that can create hope and willingness in life. The only cure to all negative happenings in present or future. Learn to smile even on the worst days! This not only gives calmness, but the positive power to face challenges too.
- Quiet your mind and be present: "Think less and feel more."~ Osho. The more you are engaged in the thinking process about your past and future incidents, the less you live your present moment. Quiet your wandering thoughts and feel that's happening right now. Try to live a mindful life in the present.
- Concentrate on your happiness and health: If you practice to stay happy, you will definitely stay healthy.
- Avoid complaining: Feel happy and blessed with what you have. Everybody is doing the best they can with the best resources that's available to them. So let's be all a little kind and patient with each other!
- Celebrate your positive qualities but pay attention to the negatives too! Be honest about the negative qualities within you and try to be better for your physical and mental well-being.
- Do what's good for you: You are 'best' to know about what you want and what is good and "healthy" for you. Stop the habit of living for others and later complaining about it. We are all gifted with the most precious thing called- life, and therefore we should have the control in deciding what's good for us; even if we fail sometimes.
- Learn to have your own opinion: Listen to everybody, but try to focus on your decision. It matters! Because you matter! Your contribution to this society matters- in every tiny ways.
Start your day with bright, and happy thoughts. Rise with a positive opinion about yourself, your life; and good thoughts will follow! Try to find your passion, and the simple reasons to keep yourself happy, content, grateful, and active throughout the day. I make sure, I look forward to doing too many productive and creative things everyday; that keeps me occupied, excited, and happy in the moment.
We cannot stop negative thoughts from coming in to our mind, but we can always control them and take charge of our life from being negatively influenced!
Don't give power to your negative thinking practice. Turn around and think for a moment what made your mind welcome those negative thoughts in the first place? And how can you redirect your negative thinking? I believe I ended up being a negative thinker because I didn't not believe in the magic within me! I did not realize that there's also a positive side of life that exists, and we can redirect ourselves to see the BEST in us and around us.
Shruti C :
Epsita M :
Thank you so much, Shruti <3 I'm so happy to know that you liked this post.
- Epsita M :
Caroline B :
I always love reading your posts, Epsita! This one especially I can relate to- I feel like so often in life it is easier for me to point out the bad things rather than the good. It's something I'm still working on!
Epsita M :
Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Caroline <3 <3 That's so sweet of you!
I am so happy to learn you could relate to this post, and I hope this article helped you to see the good around you! You're so right, we often slip into the habit of complaining and anchoring our focus to the negative and not-possible side of our life. I try to keep these reminders, now to stay focused and look at the positive side.
- Epsita M :