“Never forget that you are one of a kind. Never forget that if there weren't any need for you in all your uniqueness to be on this earth, you wouldn't be here in the first place. And never forget, no matter how overwhelming life's challenges and problems seem to be, that one person can make a difference in the world. In fact, it is always because of one person that all the changes that matter in the world come about. So be that one person. ” ~Buckminster Fuller
When I started my blog, my only intention was to share my pain of being invisible, and "useless" in this world! But little did I know that even my presence mattered as much as any other person in this universe. And that's when it dawned on me; that I want to make a difference in this world- just by doing ordinary things, just by being me, an ordinary human- like anybody else; because my contribution matters. Period. And I as well as you can make a difference in this world- just by doing simple ordinary things! How? Read further to know.
I learned that my contribution to this world does not depend on who I'm, or what I do; and is not defined by size or greatness! My presence, my authenticity, my honesty, and my stories matter. I knew I had to voice all my experiences, good and bad- to bring a change in my life as well as in someone else's life! And therefore I accepted that; "I'm valuable and my contribution matters!"
Image Credit- Pexels- Ivan Bertolazzi
We all have different purpose in life- to make it big, to be famous, to leave behind a legacy of "us" or our work, to declare we're intelligent, smart, and rich, to preach, to teach, to lead, to be the change, to do many small and big things! But, I often suspect if the difference we are trying to make in this world is led by our heart or our ego? It is very important to acknowledge the need and the desire that stimulates our choices to gravitate towards making a difference in our everyday lives and in others!
And what if somebody's only purpose is to- live, laugh, and to breath everyday? Can that be as motivating as any highlighted successful achievement story you'll watch or read?
If you're anything like me; you must have tried several times [tried and tried again] to understand and to name your "contribution" to the world!
But to define is to limit.
I realized that I don't need to limit my contribution by defining it. It means the work I'm doing, or the relationships I'm bonding with, the stories I share, the reasons I created The Positive Window, and everything I choose to do- will reflect my contribution. The question to deeply ponder about is, "whether I wish to manifest my contribution to this universe through everything I do and or choose?" How I want my contribution to make a difference in this biggg world?
I had to ask several questions to myself, to dig deeper into this subject like; Can I create a shift in difference just by sharing my experiences, by aligning my values with my actions, or just by being there for people who dislike me? Can I own my story and still make a difference? And what is that 'mantra' I want to swear by to make a difference?
Image Credit- Pexels- Andrea Piacquadio
After thinking and reading a lot about how I can contribute in small little ways; rather than aiming high and searching for "big famous things" to do to make a difference in my life and around, I've come up with these fifty small ordinary things I can do daily and bring a change in my life and in everyone's life I come across. And I hope you can too!
1. Be yourself. Stand alone, but be your authentic self. This needs courage and a beautiful heart.
2. Work on your grace and not perfection.
3. Love yourself, your body, your look, and lead by example- how to stand out being different!
4. Reuse, recycle, and reduce waste by sorting everything mindfully.
5. Donate and share with the world- in every way you can.
6. Give. Give gifts without expecting anything in return.
7. Share a smile with everyone- even with those who don't smile back at you.
8. Encourage and share people's work, their efforts, and motivate them in continuing their journey.
9. Work hard to do your dreams, no matter how many people criticize you, or discourage you, and don't believe in you! You're showing others it is always possible!
10. Whenever you can, share your story of survival and positive change with the world. We've have had all fought our share of battles in life, and you may save a life, may bring hope and smile to face - just by sharing your story!
11. Following public restroom etiquettes'.
12. Be Kind wherever you go.
13. Don't litter.
14. Be respectful and responsible about other's privacy too; especially when you are taking photographs outside, or on the beach, at park, or in any public area.
15. Be considerate about how loud you talk outside- especially in any enclosed public areas. And we must also learn to be more tolerant and forgiving.
16. Hold the door for others.
17. Saying 'thank you' and 'you're welcome' often and as an when necessary, may sound like teaching a kid some manners; but we tend to forget these simple yet effective manners as we grow up as an adult.
18. Stop staring at people! And if you like something about them, or something they're wearing, give a compliment to make them feel comfortable and special.
19. Drive patiently. Be patient, practice being kind, and more tolerant on the road.
20. Read stories and books that spark positivity, hope, and resilience.
21. Respect your faith, but be respectful about other cultures, faith, languages, habits, and people.
22. Participate in different celebrations. You always get to learn and explore new exciting things about different cultures.
23. Learn from people around you and show them they matter. Respect their individuality. Make space for reflecting each other's strengths.
24. Don't participate in gossips and negative talks.
25. Keep yourself busy learning new skills and improving each day.
26. Be a 'positive warrior.' Spread positive vibes and energy around you.
27. Learning begins at home. Lead by example- at home, outside, or in the workplace. Let your kids learn the "best things" from you to grow up being kind and responsible adults! Be a positive role model to kids.
28. Find creative ways of keeping yourself busy. Limit screen time and use of electronics- indoors and outdoors.
29. Find your 'joie de vivre'- 'joy of living.' Do as many things as you can; that you love doing. This is one of the best inspirations you can adapt to show the world- how to best live and lead your days with passions, hobbies, and, interests.
30. Be a responsible citizen.
31. Always leave an encouraging comment and compliment on other's posts and pictures. Here's the reminder that says, "if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."
32. Teach and or educate someone voluntarily.
33. Share your knowledge, expertise, and experiences with friends, colleagues, and with everyone else who are seeking help or guidance in similar fields and jobs.
34. Engage yourself in spreading positivity and inclusiveness in your community. Connect with younger and older generation to show the best around us, and to make them feel loved, connected, and cared about.
35. A day in our life is the best gift we have ever been given! Make the most of it. Live it in the best way possible and see how everything else turns out to be pretty and pleasant!
36. Save water and electricity for others to consume. Do not waste!
37. Learn to live an abundant life driven by gratitude and simplicity. Erase any doubts, fears, and feelings of jealousy and insecurity. What's yours will always find it's way to you!
38. Read more each day, anything that can fill your brain with lots of motivation and positive thoughts.
39. Live with a purpose. If you haven't found it yet, try looking for it.
40. Hold on to your faith and hope- no matter what!
41. Join others in meaningful, and constructive conversations.
42. Sit down to meditate- to clear your mind of unwanted thoughts and to become more focused and calm in your personal and professional life.
43. Genuinely pray for others - especially when they need the most. Prayers work like magic! The universe comes together to make it happen; there's so much power in your prayers!
44. Use your skills and talents for good cause.
45. Appreciate others and make them feel their best. Do not participate in body shaming or bullying. Bring out the best in people and be their inspiration.
46. Start listening more to people than doing the talking. Be a good listener. "I'm working hard on this! "
47. Smile at everyone you meet. Remember this awesome quote- "Be nice and smile to everyone you meet. You don't know what they are going through and they may need that smile and treasure it."
48. Be a true you, no matter how many dislike and hate you- because being positive and kind is very contagious...and it will definitely attract others- to be nice to you!
49. Spend more time with your kids and your partner- genuinely and mindfully. Laugh and cry together, but be there for each other- always!
50. Keep love, honesty, care, respect, and attraction alive in your relationship- no matter how old you are in your marriage.
These small ordinary contributions may seem to be very ordinary and not even interesting to many; but believe me, we can only build a strong society when we are happy, contended, feel blessed, and important in our personal lives. Our [personal] everyday life is a reflection of how we interact with everyone else around us- at home or outside, at work, while commuting, or in a grocery store, while shopping, or just while talking a walk outdoors!
We can make a difference in our society, or in the world, both to help other people, and to feel good about our own choices while making a difference in our everyday lives. Let's join hands, let's come together to do our part in contributing to the world in our own simple ways- to make this a better place for everyone!
Main Image Credit- Photo by Anna Shvets from Pexels